The last time we talked WNBA, we focused on rookie A’ja Wilson. Today, let’s get to know one of the leagues best veteran players, Elena Delle Donne.
Drafted by the Chicago Sky as the second over-all pick in the 2013 draft, Elena Delle Donne is currently in the middle of her sixth WNBA season, her second with the Washington Mystics. So far, her sixth season is proving to be a fantastic one. Case in point: Delle Donne is averaging 20.5 points, 6.6 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game. Oh, and she recently became the fastest player in the history of the league to reach 3000 points. When compared to previous seasons, Delle Donne’s current stats are on par with her 2015 performance, the year she won MVP.
What else should you know about Elena Delle Donne?
- Received a full scholarship to The University of Connecticut. Before her official start, Delle Donne left UCONN’s Summer school program and UCONN itself because she could not stand being so far away from her family. She took a break from basketball all together that year
- Is very close to her family (see above bullet), especially her older sister Lizzie who was born deaf and blind.
- Has missed time on the court due to complications and flare-ups related to her Lyme disease diagnosis
- Book nerds! Donne is the author of a memoir and a children’s book series
- Recently married her long-time girlfriend Amanda Clifton
Must Watch Highlights
Are you a fan of Delle Donne’s? If so, let us know why in the comments!