With the start of the NFL season this past week, I started to reflect on the crossover between the fandoms in my two favorite sports. A lot of people, like me, keep up to date on both the NFL and the NBA and enjoy them equally. Are you the kind of NBA fan that watches football just to fill the void in your heart from missing basketball? If you didn’t have winning teams, would you be as involved in watching them every week? Just a thought.
With the NFL consuming so much of my time this week, I fell behind in the NBA news realm. Here’s my list that I’d like to call “Things You May Have Missed in the NBA Because the NFL Kickoff Distracted Us”:
- Phoenix Suns guard Devin Booker underwent hand surgery and will be out for about six weeks.
- Miami Heat resigned Udonis Haslem.
- Bob Lanier (NBA legend) reflects on his career in this popular article on NBA.com.
- Minnesota Timberwolves made a deal with Luol Deng.
- Sports Illustrated (aka Ben Golliver and Rob Mahoney) came out with their “Si’s 2019 NBA 100 (Kyle Kuzma and Rajon Rondo are two players not included which fans are not too happy about!)
Secondly, I have a few personal things to note here:
- Fawaz Mass the local basketball star who I wrote about here heads to London today! Safe travels from everyone at Sports Are From Venus!
- I messaged @bwan22 (Brad Wanamaker) on Instagram in hopes that he would see my message and read my article and HE DID! He wrote back:
“Thanks for the article!! I’m definitely here to contribute to the team and show I belong”
I wrote back “I’m a big fan!” (See my article on him here) but what I wanted to say was “Hook me up with some tickets!!!!!!!!!!” There’s a time, and a place, though. Gotta keep it professional.
- @Bagnell_Dustin wrote me on Twitter: “Can you write about Hayward? The people want it!” So stay tuned for my delivery of quality content on Gordon Hayward on Thursday!
Image via USA Today.