Tomorrow’s the Day!
With less than 24 hours until the trade deadline, no one is safe. Well, a lot of players are actually safe. Most of them actually. Take a look at my thoughts:
When and Why?
The trade deadline is tomorrow, February 7th at 3pm. News of trades that occurred before 3pm may be released to the public after that time.
I know what you are thinking- isn’t this early? Yes! The trade deadline is usually after the All-Star break, but last year they moved it up. Basically, the idea was to help the All-Star break not get overlooked by trade-rumors. NBA Commissioner Adam Silver also believes that the break provides a good opportunity for players who have been traded and moved around to figure out their new living arrangements and life in their new cities.
The catch about the trade “deadline” is that players can still change teams after February 7th if they are bought out. @CBS’s very own @JackMaloneyCBS explains this well:
While teams can no longer complete trades after the deadline, they can buy out players. Once they’re released, those players hit the waiver wire for 48 hours, where they can be claimed by another team. If they aren’t claimed, they become free agents after that time frame. In order to be playoff eligible, however, players must be released by March 1.
So far, the biggest move has been the New York Knicks trading Kristaps Porzingis to the Dallas Maverick. However, there are a lot more rumors and a lot of targets:
- Anthony Davis from the Pelicans to the…who knows. He requested a trade out of New Orleans. People need to remember that he may not move before the deadline. Kyrie Irving of the Celtics has already noted that people need to wait until July to hear about any Celtics moves (especially regarding Anthony Davis and any trades involving himself).
- Wayne Ellington from the Heat has been targeted by the Lakers.
- Enes Kanter of the Mavericks is on an expiring contract.
- Jeremy Lin may make for an interesting trade piece. He’s getting some interest from the Kings. In all honesty, I don’t think J Lin is apart of the Hawks future vision with Kein Huerter, John Collins, and Trae Young in the picture.
- The Magic…are a mess. Nikola Vucevic, Aaron Gordon, Terrence Ross, and Jonathon Simmons may be hopping on planes soon.
What are your favorite trade rumors/moves?
Image via USA Today.